For this assignment I would like for
you to find an image that takes a stand and does so in an artistic
way. Think
about how it makes you feel, do
you understand what the image is
saying? What is it saying to you?
Do you believe it is powerful? Does
the image reflect the position it is
standing for?
You have complete freedom in where you find this protest image. You can even use one that I have chosen, if it really speaks to you.
More than 100 Tibetans have set themselves on fire in protest of Chinese government policies. Artist Liu Yi wants to tell their story. He has painted the portraits of over 100 Tibetans that have set themselves on fire in protest to the Chinese government's occupation and crack down on the people inside Tibet. But as I look at these faces, and think of Liu Yi's goal, I think of a question I ask my students, "What does the face really tell us?" It can be powerful in some cases, we can see into the eyes, we can look at their expressions, but in reality all we are doing is superimposing our own ideas onto this anonymous face. Looking at Liu's faces, all I see is a Tibetan that no longer exists. I don't see the pain, or oppression, or desperation, or defiance that made this person want to set themselves on fire, to give up their life in an attempt to make the world take notice.
You have complete freedom in where you find this protest image. You can even use one that I have chosen, if it really speaks to you.
More than 100 Tibetans have set themselves on fire in protest of Chinese government policies. Artist Liu Yi wants to tell their story. He has painted the portraits of over 100 Tibetans that have set themselves on fire in protest to the Chinese government's occupation and crack down on the people inside Tibet. But as I look at these faces, and think of Liu Yi's goal, I think of a question I ask my students, "What does the face really tell us?" It can be powerful in some cases, we can see into the eyes, we can look at their expressions, but in reality all we are doing is superimposing our own ideas onto this anonymous face. Looking at Liu's faces, all I see is a Tibetan that no longer exists. I don't see the pain, or oppression, or desperation, or defiance that made this person want to set themselves on fire, to give up their life in an attempt to make the world take notice.
As a protest image, I don't find this artwork nearly as powerful as JR's depiction of eyes. It really seems more like a memorial piece. When I think of protest art, I tend to think more of pieces that have an intense power behind them such as either of these pieces:
Although both of these have a sense of violence, not all protest art has to be as dark as these. I think the cause tends to dictate the level of intensity. When people are desperate, the protests can escalate, both in visual form and physical. In fact, I may be likening the act of lighting themselves on fire to the performance art pieces I've seen / read about it before, however I would never readily identify these acts as art.
On another note:
I love looking at the work of Banksy as protest art. He seems to protest a lot. His idea of rats as a metaphor is used constantly to bring to light issues around the city (and sometimes world). He had this to say about his surroundings: "twisted little people go out every day and deface this great city. Leaving their idiotic little scribblings, invading communities and making people feel dirty and used. They just take, take, take and they don't put anything back. They're mean and selfish and they make the world an ugly place to be. We call them advertising agencies and town planners."
On another note:
I love looking at the work of Banksy as protest art. He seems to protest a lot. His idea of rats as a metaphor is used constantly to bring to light issues around the city (and sometimes world). He had this to say about his surroundings: "twisted little people go out every day and deface this great city. Leaving their idiotic little scribblings, invading communities and making people feel dirty and used. They just take, take, take and they don't put anything back. They're mean and selfish and they make the world an ugly place to be. We call them advertising agencies and town planners."
His sarcasm and wit make his graffiti more than just a nuisance, but something to think about as our society marches forward. Though I don't agree with him about everything, he often gives his audiences something to think about.

No comments:
Post a Comment