Week 1 Assignment: 1. Set up Blog: Introductions, 2. qualities
Of the 21st Century, post modern educator, 3. Lineage/genealogy tree.
Read Washington Post Article: "The 12 Qualities Great Teachers Share"
1- Excelling, have strategies in place to maintain this level
2- Good, developing strategies
3- Fair, about half the time
4- Need support
What makes a great teacher? By Chris Lehmann
1) Passion for teaching. - 1
I think this is a wonderful list. Teaching is one of those things where it is both an art and a science. There are tricks to know about classroom management, and techniques and strategies to help kids learn (the science) but there is also just something sort of intrinsic about the way you choose to apply what you know (the art.) Its the magic elixir of the above things with a certain personality in combination with knowledge about pedagogy. Some people don't have to have gone to school to learn the pedagogy part, some come to it naturally through instinct. Kind of like art. You can be naturally gifted at it, or you can work really hard to train yourself at it, learning and sharpening your skills.
I'm not saying I am a great teacher (although I do like to hope I am at least a good one), but I found teaching to be easier, more stress-free, and more enjoyable when I mastered or adopted the things on this list. Students learned more it seemed, the classes more fluid and creative, and the environment much more cheerful and productive. Now that I observe teachers informally, I take a balcony view and watch how they implement curriculum (and when I say curriculum I mean the official one, and the un-official one that teachers choose to teach in addition to "what is required".) The teachers I see who often complain or who appear not to enjoy teaching are indeed lacking the items on this list. Good teachers I see have many of these traits and when they get better, I see an additional trait coming out more often. It is funny because I just put together a team of 6 teachers to revise our high school Intro curriculum and I chose them based on strengths they have in the skills and traits listed above. Knock on wood, so far so good!
Something else I found interesting about this article were the comments about it. It seemed like a couple of people were quite upset about the idea that he was describing teachers of school age children and not all learners. With the exception of #2 and #4, I am pretty sure that each of these would apply to any learning situation. Maybe some more than others at different levels.
I couldn't help but also think about how teaching has changed over the years as I read. Since I deal with teaching teachers, or at least work with them as a facilitator, I can't help but hear (over and over and over) how "back in the day" teaching was so different, but also at the same time how they are being asked to do the same thing, that "what goes around, comes back around." Would the great teachers from 30 years ago still have the idea that you always try to improve or have a willingness to collaborate? I notice most of the newer teachers, with the exception of a few teachers, have the attitude that they will be lifelong learners, that they are constantly learning about their craft. Now maybe that is because the closer you are to university, the more you feel you still have to learn. Those teachers that self-identify as "not having taught that long" (yet may be in 10+ years) seem to have the attitude that they can always improve, they are more collaborative, and in my opinion are the better teachers for it. Those that close their doors, refuse to share, and are offended if anyone asks what is going on in their class in an attempt to, <gasp!>, converse or bond over work, are the poorer teacher for it. Is it a generational thing or is it the mark of good teaching? Without having a time machine or actually read people's minds, I guess I won't really be able to know for sure.
Read Washington Post Article: "The 12 Qualities Great Teachers Share"
2. Read & Reflect on your Blog:
Washington Post Article. “12 Qualities
great teachers share”
-Would you include any additional traits, or
change some of what is there?
Do a self inventory of these 12 traits. Use the following simple rubric to reflect on these traits. Comment briefly on this rating as you read through.
change some of what is there?
Do a self inventory of these 12 traits. Use the following simple rubric to reflect on these traits. Comment briefly on this rating as you read through.
1- Excelling, have strategies in place to maintain this level
2- Good, developing strategies
3- Fair, about half the time
What makes a great teacher? By Chris Lehmann
1) Passion for teaching. - 1
2) Love of kids. - 1
3) Love of their subject. - 1
4) Understanding of the role of a school in a child’s life. - 2
5) A willingness to change. - 2
6) A work ethic that doesn’t quit. - 2
7) A willingness to reflect. - 1
8) Organization. - 2
9) Understanding that being a “great teacher” is a constant struggle to always improve. - 1
10) Enough ego to survive the hard days. - 2
11) Enough humility to remember it’s not about you. - 2
12) A willingness to work collaboratively. - 2
I think this is a wonderful list. Teaching is one of those things where it is both an art and a science. There are tricks to know about classroom management, and techniques and strategies to help kids learn (the science) but there is also just something sort of intrinsic about the way you choose to apply what you know (the art.) Its the magic elixir of the above things with a certain personality in combination with knowledge about pedagogy. Some people don't have to have gone to school to learn the pedagogy part, some come to it naturally through instinct. Kind of like art. You can be naturally gifted at it, or you can work really hard to train yourself at it, learning and sharpening your skills.
I'm not saying I am a great teacher (although I do like to hope I am at least a good one), but I found teaching to be easier, more stress-free, and more enjoyable when I mastered or adopted the things on this list. Students learned more it seemed, the classes more fluid and creative, and the environment much more cheerful and productive. Now that I observe teachers informally, I take a balcony view and watch how they implement curriculum (and when I say curriculum I mean the official one, and the un-official one that teachers choose to teach in addition to "what is required".) The teachers I see who often complain or who appear not to enjoy teaching are indeed lacking the items on this list. Good teachers I see have many of these traits and when they get better, I see an additional trait coming out more often. It is funny because I just put together a team of 6 teachers to revise our high school Intro curriculum and I chose them based on strengths they have in the skills and traits listed above. Knock on wood, so far so good!
Something else I found interesting about this article were the comments about it. It seemed like a couple of people were quite upset about the idea that he was describing teachers of school age children and not all learners. With the exception of #2 and #4, I am pretty sure that each of these would apply to any learning situation. Maybe some more than others at different levels.
I couldn't help but also think about how teaching has changed over the years as I read. Since I deal with teaching teachers, or at least work with them as a facilitator, I can't help but hear (over and over and over) how "back in the day" teaching was so different, but also at the same time how they are being asked to do the same thing, that "what goes around, comes back around." Would the great teachers from 30 years ago still have the idea that you always try to improve or have a willingness to collaborate? I notice most of the newer teachers, with the exception of a few teachers, have the attitude that they will be lifelong learners, that they are constantly learning about their craft. Now maybe that is because the closer you are to university, the more you feel you still have to learn. Those teachers that self-identify as "not having taught that long" (yet may be in 10+ years) seem to have the attitude that they can always improve, they are more collaborative, and in my opinion are the better teachers for it. Those that close their doors, refuse to share, and are offended if anyone asks what is going on in their class in an attempt to, <gasp!>, converse or bond over work, are the poorer teacher for it. Is it a generational thing or is it the mark of good teaching? Without having a time machine or actually read people's minds, I guess I won't really be able to know for sure.
Will love having your perspective Michelle.! So very looking forwarding to all of it!
ReplyDeleteMichelle,
ReplyDeleteFor the past fourteen years, sitting in various staff meetings, I have heard the exact comments that you reference, especially the "what goes around, comes back around." I remember the furor that (silently) erupted when the concept of PLC’s were first introduced. It does seem that these feelings are most often coming from those who have been teaching the longest. On one hand, I understand their frustrations. As education in the US continues to grapple with the twenty-first century paradigm shift, it seems as though teachers, at least in my district, are constantly demanded to use some new tool or technique. This is always on the heels of the last new, best thing which they are still trying to master. On the other hand, funny - I think you may be on to something - I always tend to think of myself as someone who hasn’t taught that long - LOL, the teachers who have the attitude that they can always improve possess the attributes that Lehmann identifies as those of a great teacher. (Not that I’m saying that I’m a great teacher, but I certainly aspire to be one!)
I have witnessed that these, generally older teachers, can have a cancer-like effect in their grade levels, their negativity and don’t give a hoot attitude poisoning their younger and less experienced colleagues. I have witnessed the opposite of this happening as well, just not as often. It’s that whole “One bad apple” situation. To me it seems as though some people are, by nature, more open-minded and flexible in their thinking. I’m not sure if it’s a generational thing, or a personality thing. Perhaps the psychology class you are taking will reveal the answer!
In response to Beth's Post: (spacetimecat.blogspot.com)
ReplyDeleteHer three additional qualities:
#13. Ability to empathize with and understand the burdens of your co-workers. I work with some people who do not understand that they are not doing the load of the work in the building.
#14. Creative ability and use of creative problem solving.
#15. Ability to conduct action research. Education can be top heavy in that actions come from administration down to the classrooms. Action should start with the students and move upwards.
Hi Beth! I'm looking forward to having this class with you. Loved your three add-ons and they made me think. I fell into an administrative type position (our district Fine Arts content leader) and it has drastically changed my perspective. I started out doing it part time while teaching part time, but this year it went full time. It is a mixed role with not a lot of power, but a small bit of influence. The worst part I think is having the heart of a teacher that is "on fire" yet getting further away from a teacher perspective. I'm exposed to too many teachers that have negative attitudes and it is starting to affect my outlook (and that makes me sad.) I was told in my undergrad to stay away from the teachers' lounge as it is a hotbed for negative attitudes that will skew your perspective and make you bitter. I kind of feel like now I can't escape the teacher's lounge. I've noticed it creeping into my posts for class, so as we reflect (and as part of my new year's resolutions) I'm setting out to put those negative perspectives in check. I will work on my #13.
Also, I am going to work on #15. I used to do a lot of action research in my classes. But now my only outlet is in the classes of others. It is incredibly frustrating to have to do someone else's research (so many admins working on doctorates!) I never minded being invited in on a conversation and given the choice to also light my fire and join in on the change/research. But that happened very rarely. I will have to remember this as we go forth with changing standards and updating our district curriculum.
Thank you for giving me so much to think about!
I personally have had teachers at all levels of education that were great because they processed these traits, teachers who were in their 1st or 20th year who might not have had all 12 but enough to have made a difference in my interactions with them. The flip side of the 12 traits is teachers who have given up trying, either from burn out or a lack of caring. My 4th year at MU I had to go back and take drawing II again because the credit wouldn't transfer correctly. My teacher was an adviser for the department, an artist for 40 years, and just at the point of retiring. From my first day in class she told me I shouldn't be there. I was talented and obviously understood enough not to need her class. It was a strange, compliment and back handed rejection of my presence in her class. Every time we had an assignment she would point out flaws in everyone's work in front of the class but when she got to mine she would somehow always say “well you really shouldn't even be in this class”. I was very frustrated from a lack of tact on her part. I did not feel comfortable always having so much attention drawn to me. I wanted to get as much out of the class as possible and instead was ostracized for having talent.
ReplyDeleteJust as technology has drastically changed the world around us, the educational system included, so too must a great teacher. 50 years ago you learned one skill set and worked 30 years perfecting it just in time to retire. I heard a statistic in one of my education classes that 50% of new teachers will leave the profession within 5 years. So that's at least 4 years to learn the trade, 5 years to get sick of it, move on and in ten years be looking for a new career. With the age of instant gratification at the tap of the screen it’s not hard for me to see a correlation. The shorter our wait for new technology the less patience we have in getting what we want out of a career. People don't work at things anymore. If we can't have it instantly than we don't want to try and work for it. I have spent the last 12 years wanting and working towards being a teacher and still haven’t gotten to the point of my own classroom yet. It just makes me sad.