Michelle Ridlen's MU Art Ed Blog

Michelle Ridlen's MU Art Ed Blog
Master's Student ~ Started Summer 2012, Anticipated Graduation December 2014 ~ Tiger for Life! M-I-Z...

Sunday, August 19, 2012

VTS at MU: reflections from class

So I only wish I had Siri or some other poor assistant with fancy technology that could have rode next to me as I drove back to St. Louis Saturday. I feel like I had a lot more to say about our VTS experiences and wanted to share with everyone what it was I had mentioned that had worked for me as I VTS in class. But between the fried pickles at Harpo's and the mass quantity of Dr. Pepper that I consumed to raise my caffeine levels, I'm afraid I forgot all the brilliance that came to me on the ride home.

The only part I do remember is that I shared that I often have my HSer's pre-write to organize their thoughts (as a bell ringer and as I take attendance or collect materials or fees). I make up a worksheet with the image and the three questions and display the image as students enter class. Then I give them some time to gather their thoughts. This seems to really help with those "shy" (read: unparticipatory) students.

Does anyone else have tips or something that seems to really work for them when VTS-ing or in getting students to participate?

3 comments:

  1. Watch closely for those that I call "Sleepers." They are the kids who don't raise their hands, but when you call on them, some profound observation flows effortlessly from their mouths. I had one of those in Blue Springs;I finally decided it was a power game; like she wanted ME to make the effort to get her to respond. Fine! I played the game and was always rewarded. Another student in the Boys' Writers' Club admitted to me when I asked that he's just shy. When called upon, he usually has something to say. It's kind of amazing,though. Usually I find that those who seldom volunteer answers outside of the VTS discussion participate very actively when we "VTS." Great dialogue starter, Michelle! Hope everyone chimes in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Michelle!
    This week I was able to VTS with my kiddos and I tested out your pre-writing tip for one of my classes. My VTS lesson seemed to go much more smoothly with the class that I gave them three minutes to reflect on the questions with the image in front of them, rather than the class that we VTS-ed the image in a cold read. I think that it is important to mention that I allowed two students to have the iPads to video myself and their classmates. One of my boys, who is hard to engage, participated wonderfully because he ended up with the iPad and was able to focus because he had a job to do. I feel that this fits right on in with yours and Mary's "sleeper" comments because I was shocked that he responded in the way that he did. I think that I will definitely have to pay attention to my students who are less likely to talk because I still bet that they are very engaged in the class discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie, that's great!
      I tried having a "document" day (like Michelle Shaner Livek) this week with the one iPad I have so far and that was really interesting watching them interact with this new technology. It was almost like they didn't know what to do with it. "Wait, what are we supposed to do?....But I'm not done!, Wait, Huh?" This one page portfolio and reflective practice are definitely going to be a change of habits for these guys.

      Delete