Michelle Ridlen's MU Art Ed Blog

Michelle Ridlen's MU Art Ed Blog
Master's Student ~ Started Summer 2012, Anticipated Graduation December 2014 ~ Tiger for Life! M-I-Z...

Friday, August 31, 2012

AT: Thinking back...more thoughts on Rosen

            So myself and a group of fellow teachers present professional development to our faculty on 1/2 days throughout the school year. Today was one of those days and as a reflection tool, we introduced blogging.  It was interesting to note as I helped various people get their blogs up and running how different one building's faculty can be when it comes to technology knowledge. We really ran the gamut, from some teachers having no idea what a blog was (not in specifics, just bare knowledge of the term) to other teachers who had already used them in class in the past and now thought that blogs were passé and irrelevant . It reminded me of the quotes from various 12yo's in Rosen's Rewired book. At the end of chapter 1 in the section "Why Do These Kids Hate School?" I could see what we were doing in our PD as trying to catch-up.
          But the question we found ourselves asking was, "Where do we start?" How do you get so many who are unfamiliar, familiar? And quickly, and without being overwhelming?
          As I read and do my assignments for class, I am looking through two different lenses: myself as teacher of iGen students and myself as teacher of adult learners from various generations - Boomers, Gen Xers, Gen Yers, and Net Gens. That's a lot of differentiation right there! My head swims with ways to address these issues, for myself to make my teaching more relevant and therefore more rigorous, and for my colleagues that I train and coach as an instructional leader. Hear hear for another MU Art Ed class that is making my brain bulge!

No comments:

Post a Comment