I love learning about the way our brain functions, so reading this was fascinating to me. Especially when I think about it in context with what I am doing in conjunction with Professional Development in my building and what I am planning for PD in my Art departments across the district. Since we are implementing a pilot iPad Classroom project, I am also organizing the PD. It has been difficult to get everyone together, even though they are clamoring for the PD (as opposed to other times PD is offered in the district). And it is always in short bursts which can be frustrating for those more advanced users (i.e. digital natives) dealing with questions that take a lot of time for the Digital Immigrants. For example: "How do I get this thing to turn on?" or "How do I get to that next screen with more stuff on it?" I kid you not, these were real questions that took up most of the first training. And the trainer wouldn't believe me when I said I thought we should have a tiered training and offer 2 sessions.
I thought it was extremely interesting to see how our different internet and technology uses effect the brain, (BTW, I would still love to get a picture of my brain lighting up!) and how with just a few days use you can activate areas of your brain. I am also captivated by the studies on multitasking. THe results that speak to the INability to multitask and how doing a simple thing like general browsing can cause irritability and inhibited cognitive functioning were added to my mental pinterest file. I swear that I am even seeing pop out windows when I look at people in coffee shops and the such, even without wearing Google glasses. Using the internet the way I do nowadays has me viewing the world differently. ANd reading the first few chapters if the iBrain book shed some light on how my brain is developing due to my practices. (Another side note: I was so interested in the first chapters we read of this book that I looked into purchasing the whole book. Unfortunately it looks like we got to read the best parts and the rest of it goes down hill...bummer.)
Michelle I always love your commentary on technology and things you find important. I have to say that I completely agree with you on your technology stance. I know that I am just fresh out of college and somewhere on the edge of being an iGen-er myself but sometimes in technology meetings I just want to bang my head against the wall. I went to a mandatory iPad training (because my school all just got iPads) and we spent around thirty minutes instructing others how to switch on wifi and type in the correct password. It is really interesting to connect the stuff that we are reading in AT with the things that I am experiencing as a teacher in regards to the way that my students are developing their thinking style and the ways that my colleagues function and think. The iBrain reading was quite interesting, especially the ways that we are all stimulating our brains at different moments with different things in the Digital Age.
ReplyDelete