Michelle Ridlen's MU Art Ed Blog

Michelle Ridlen's MU Art Ed Blog
Master's Student ~ Started Summer 2012, Anticipated Graduation December 2014 ~ Tiger for Life! M-I-Z...

Friday, December 7, 2012

VTS: Wk 12 - Video #3, Blog #12


BLOG TOPIC #12:  Assessing, Reflecting, Planning


Lesson #5 Image 1:


Lesson #5 Image 2: 


Videos
This last session went longer than the others, lasting 38 minutes for both images. YouTube only accepts 15 minute videos so I've cut the session into 3 parts. I apologize if there is overlap between videos.

Video #3 part one of three


Video #3 part two of three


Video #3 part three of three


Post your Lesson #5: Teacher’s Choice image on your BLOG.
  • Reflecting on Yenawine’s article on image selection, was your Teacher’s Choice image an appropriate choice for your students, considering their age, stage, interests, and needs at this time? Explain why or why not.
This seems redundant to my last post, but Yes, I believe it is an appropriate choice for my students (see post #11).
  • In what ways did the image challenge them?  Was the challenge too great, too little, just right? Explain.
This image seemed to challenge their ability to go deeper. Most of them (especially in their writings) responded with "It's Thanksgiving." Done. that's it. But eventually they were able to look for what more was going on in the image and see more than what was on surface. It seemed to be just about right, but I think they liked it more when there was just a little bit more mystery.
  • What features/aspects of the work of art and its narrative did the students notice? What intrigued them?
Mostly they noticed the people, paying attention to the "stuff" only later on in the conversation. They seemed to be intrigued with the number of the people at the table versus the table settings. The second image they were intrigued by whether the person in teh far background was male or female (unsure).
  • What opportunities for SCAFFOLDING did this image provide? How did you and/or students address and support those during the VTS discussion?
We were able to scaffold from the obvious in the image to what more could be lying uner the surface. Such as the idea of material possessions, work vs play, and family tradition. Especially after the conversation when we started working on the project and referencing memory, students used these images to acaffold conceptual meaning into their work.
  • Were there any surprises?
Surprises, I was surprised by the fact that students did construct more of a narrative to these iamges. It seemed a little inventorial (is that a word?) still. I was expecting students to be stretching their creative muscles more as we did this and therefore constructing stories from what they saw.
  • Would you use this image again with a similar class of students?  Explain.
Possibly. It would depend on the level of the students and their accessibility to figural imagery. I liked how the student asked about a theme to this work, I wish we could have dove into that question more but in the midst of VTS-ing I wasn't sure how to reframe a question to answer that.

1 comment:

  1. Bit late but hopefully I can throw in a bit of usefully input.

    I agree that if there had been a bit more mystery it would have helped the discussion for you. Something I've noticed with the BWC is that if its something that they all recognize instantly then its alot harder for them to get into it as well. I think the approach of scaffolding was a really good approach for what you are having the students do. Odds are I would have tried to pick something more modern and I think that these pieces actually come from a really good time period to express that. I think the second image would have been a great image for BWC because it does have a bit of mystery going on to it and there are actually multiple stories that they could create on their own.

    I wanna blame this one on just teenagers because I feel that the second image should have definitely gotten better responses. Just keep at it cause I can see that your doing great!

    ReplyDelete