Create a Formative Assessment Strategy that relates to your discussion board posts.
1. Objective:
- The student will be able to articulate his or her thoughts about the assigned readings, posing and inviting questions to challenge or re-enforce his/her own and fellow classmates thinking about the topic(s). Posting these reflections on a digital discussion board, the student will encourage, invite, and participate in on-line dialogue.- The student will create visual representations in response to the readings in order to synthesize thoughts and reflect upon his/her position on presented topics.
- Overall, the student will monitor and record his/her own thinking, growth and development in the area of art assessment.
2. Question:
What have you learned about assessment in art that you did not previously know?
3. Feedback Strategy:
"Note-card" Reflection with these questions:
What question(s) do you still have about assessment in art?
How did your feelings about assessment in art change during the time in this class?
4. Introduction of Strategy:
Reading back through my discussion posts to inform my thinking, I will reflect on any growth or change in disposition highlighted and discussed holistically. Looking at where I started compared to where I am, I will have the opportunity to reflect on my own thinking and see what impact has been made by the thinking prompted by fellow classmates and the authors. It will be interesting to see what change or growth has occurred.
5. Applying the Strategy:
- What question(s) do you still have about assessment in art?
How do we convince administrators, parents, and ourselves that assessment may look different in different types of classes, but is not necessarily more or less valid? How do we stop jumping through hoops and think of assessment as a valuable instructional tool and worthy of our time?
- How did your feelings about assessment in art change during the time in this class?
I have been a proponent of using assessment in art since I began teaching. Although, I have changed my idea of what a formal assessment can look like, and what types of assessment are most valuable in art, my feelings about assessments in art, in general, have stayed the same during this class. What I do have now, is a better understanding of standardized assessments and how they do not really fit with what we are trying to get students to learn in a creative environment. There will have to be some major change in the construction and development of these tests in order to really evaluate the type of learning that goes on in an art room; and still it will only be able to capture a fraction of what is really learned. ( I just reread my answer above and am thinking, "But I kind of already knew that." Standardized testing just does NOT fit with what we are attempting to teach our students. It is not a 21st century method for assessing our students.)
6. Interpreting the Feedback:
The longer I teach, the more important I am finding it to ask students to share their thoughts. Too often we jump to conclusions about what it is we think students are learning, or gaining in skill, and if we just asked we would see / hear a whole different story.
In reading my posts, I think I sound a little preachy, but I hope not. I can't help but think through the lens of my experience and interactions I have had with colleagues both as peers, as well as as an assessment leader in the district. I think some of my frustrations and annoyances came out, both at the system and those not willing to work to make things better.
7. Responding to the Results:
Amy's Assessment was constructed around these three questions:
ReplyDelete1. In what ways did my responses impact your perspective on assessment?
2. List three adjectives which describe your experience when reading my responses.
3. Take a photo of the facial expression you have when viewing an AJ page of mine. Post and state which journal page it is a response too.
Here are my answers to her questions:
1. I feel like you have been teaching in such an atypical environment that you have a really unique perspective. Although sometimes it hits me as unrealistic, I also LOVE that it makes the impossible seem possible. (and I say that as I am constantly trying alternative solutions myself, but I probably have more ingrained rule-follower habits about me. I aspire to be a catalyst for change for the better!) I am constantly amazed at your ability to articulate your thoughts so well and also encourage the best in others. My thoughts always seem to be swirling without ever settling down for me to truly collect and organize them. Often I find myself thinking, "YES! Yes, exactly what she just said." I think we are aligned in much of our thinking, but you have the benefit of experience and trying some of these notions out so therefore have some deeper thoughts as to the extent of them. Still, I would really like to have an IRL discussion and needle out some of the finer points that encapsulated discussion boards don't really allow for.
2. (love the adjective question as an assessment. I think students learn from it unintentionally stretching their growth.) Hmm....I think I am making word associations, and maybe not adjectives. I would say 'Realm of Possibilities'; Rich; and Sticky.
3. Artist's Journal Page from Beattie Text :