Week 13: Gradebook Task #1
“The CHALLENGE for this task is to CREATE something that works BETTER, is closer to MEANINGFUL DATA, is EASY to use, and can be adapted to other artworks. I realize that this could be a very difficult task, but use the Beattie text to show you what has been done, but then IMPROVE upon it.
Are rubrics the only way to go about this? I don’t know! I have used a multitude of different rubrics and I’m not sure that they are the ONLY way to go about grading, then again, if they are the best way, maybe we just need to make some grounded and justifiable decisions on what goes on them…
Create a WORD document, import the image at the top of the document, then show the grading devise with the grades on it, include the summative score, then write a paragraph or two about the choices that you made to create the scoring devise. “
To be truthful, I have been thinking about grades and grading for many years, looking for a way to get my students to stop working for the letter grade and instead throw themselves into the meaning of the task. To enjoy the act of creating for the sake of creating (that flow!), and to start thinking about how we use art in our daily lives. Through this quest I’ve discovered a few things. Students need to be motivated intrinsically if I want them to stop being motivated by the extrinsic (letter grades). I’ve found a few key ingredients to develop motivation in my students.
First, it is very important to build relationships in the art room from the very beginning. Students need to feel supported, respected, and valued. They need to establish a safe space for creating and experimenting without feeling judged. Students need to know that we talk about art and thoughts behind the art, so establishing an environment that encourages discussion and exploration is essential. To build this environment, students need to know each other and need to build a community together in order to feel free to try new things. The community and the collective becomes a part of the feeling of motivation, the reward for trying new things and sharing with others is becoming part of another’s learning experience.
Second, as the teacher I need to structure the learning so that it is relevant to my students. I allow for the art they create to be personal and not formulaic. We discuss topics that mean something to them and their take on the world around them. Building relationships with them, I am privy to parts of their lives that they might not share with others. Because they feel connected to their environment, invested in relationships created in the art room, they are more likely to investigate issues of personal importance and share what they uncover.
Third, I have to challenge them. I challenge my students to take a topic and make it their own, to interpret it and re-invent it in an artwork of their own design. I can not expect them to invest time and energy into something they find meaningless and simplistic. I need to challenge their skills in order to see them improve, building trust in our mentorship and what is possible. I need to challenge their idea of what can be seen as art and what can be seen as valuable in order for them to challenge their own perceptions. They build not just hand skills, but conceptual skills. Everything has to be scaffolded so that they see marked improvement, not just failure to improve. They need to hear frequent feedback, they need to be questioned, and they need to see results. They need to be asked to reflect on their own thoughts, so that they start to see themselves as experts holding the key to their success and not just the teacher.
I need to stop using language that places emphasis on their grade, but places emphasis on what they learned (or haven’t learned yet or need to learn) and how to use it in the future. I need to stop marking their papers with their grades, so they change their habits of flipping just to see what they got and throwing away the hours of work that went into it. I have physically separated the work from the grade (that is what an online grade book is for anyway.)
Because I am trying to allow students to behave and learn like life-long artists, students help craft their own assignments. We look at skills not outlined in the state GLE’s. The new NCCAS standards are getting closer to the work habits of artists, but I think they still fall short of getting students to think like artists. How do we craft our message? How do use visual imagery to communicate our ideas? How do we explore our selves and make a place to belong in an ever changing, ever expanding world? And there isn’t necessarily a right or wrong answer to these questions begging to be marked with a grade. I tend to evaluate the individuals quest for their own answers to their own artistic questions, their perseverance, their drive to blaze their own trail. And how they share it with others.
So what I decided to do was look through some past assignments I have given to my students, including the self-evals / reflections / grading sheets and tweak them with an update. Since I no longer have these students (or any students), I can’t pull up what they wrote on the reflection sheets, but I do have electronic reflections from online portfolios.
At the beginning of the year, I ease them into this transition of self as grade determiner with some more concrete assignments, until eventually at the end of the year they should be helping me to create the rubric and what should determine a grade. This is an example of a beginning project and self-reflection:
Symbol Project
Self-Reflection
Can you communicate deep meaning through the use of symbols? Y or N
Which word did you choose to inspire your project?
What is your artwork saying about that word? (Be descriptive about your message – what should I walk away thinking about?)
Are your shapes & symbols well designed and easy to see? Y or N
What symbols did you use? What does each one represent?
What did you learn about how artists communicate?
Which art medium did you choose?
What did you learn about using that medium?
What grade do you think you earned & WHY?
Haring Symbol Project
Teacher Assessment
1= needs major improvement;
2= some Improvements needed;
3= little changes would help improve;
3= little changes would help improve;
4= everything I’m looking for, no improvement needed;
+ = above and beyond what was expected.
Content: There is an interesting and complex message behind the images that can be read from your choice of symbols.
|
|
Composition: Imagery fills the picture plane, makes good use of negative space (not too much, not too little), and feels energetic.
|
|
Shapes & Symbols are well designed, have clear meaning and are easily read.
|
|
Effort: You stayed on task during studio time, working hard on your project to challenge yourself, pushing through any obstacles or difficulties.
|
|
There was clear evidence of preplanning (sketching) and thought behind the development of an idea for your project (teacher conference).
|
|
Art Media was handled in a neat and artistic manner, showing effort to develop skill and eventual mastery.
|
|
Overall, the end result is a good representation of your artistic potential.
|
Additional Comments: Grade:
(This is where I would write specific comments to the student about the end results of their project. Usually explaining why I gave them the grade I did and what to work on for next time. While working, students and I would discuss the work in a formative manner.)
From the Student:
“I created this picture to reflect fear. To the right, there are things that scare the person in the middle. So the left symbolizes fear or being afraid. The person on the left is running toward the day and into the house. The daylight and house symbolizes being at a peaceful state of mind/feeling safe. For this person, the house is where he/she isn't afraid.”
And then towards the middle of the class we had a pop-art project applying some of the conceptual skills they had learned:
As part of the assignment, students had to use their sketchbooks to “think” about their pop culture. They brainstormed, they made lists, they categorized, we discussed as a large group and then they planned their project. They planned their print, they played with pattern & repetition & rhythm (those pesky GLE’s snuck in through the back door), and they plotted out what they wanted to say about pop culture today. Here is one of them and the digital portfolio reflection done as part of the sketchbook “pre-” work:
“ 1) fast food is how families eat together 2) regular rhythm to show it is getting boring 3) I used the McDonald's sign because it is the most popular 4) it is the same Golden Arches to show how McDonald's is consumed too many times 5) Golden Arches represent popular fast food 6) if I use a t-shirt it acts as a way of protesting advertisement, sort of like ironically. Or as if people are always on the go so there is no more table.”
Pop Art Project
Reflection & Self-Assessment
What motif did you choose to use from today’s pop culture for your print? Why did you choose it?
What does it tell us about today’s culture and what we will remember?
Explain what type of rhythm & how you used it to set up your composition:
How does it make your viewer’s eye move around your images?
What mixed media did you use? Why did you pick it?
What did you learn about printmaking and creating a mixed media piece?
Did you feel like you had a lot of artistic freedom with this project where you were able to make your own decisions? In what way?
Do you prefer more options and the time to play with the materials first or fewer options and more rigid directions?
What kind of options would you like more of as you create?
If there was not a grade attached, how would you have approached this project differently?
Overall Grade: A B C D F
Why would you give yourself that grade?
Pop Art Project
Reflection & Self-Assessment
Name: Hour: Date:
Circle one box in each row that best describes your work and process in this project.
1
Little to no understanding
|
2
Partial understanding
|
3
Considerable understanding
|
4
Complete understanding
|
+
Advanced understanding
|
Composition • arrangement • content
|
||||
Weak composition arrangement that lacks evidence of intent or consideration. May be haphazard.
No evidence of rhythm or movement.
|
Composition arrangement is awkward but shows some purpose.
An attempt to depict rhythm or movement is apparent.
|
Composition arrangement clearly shows intention to convey idea.
Rhythm and/or Movement is seen in your work with clear intention to use it to enhance the layout of the composition.
|
Strong composition arrangement that addresses complex idea. Repetition is utilized to the highest degree creating rhythm and/or movement that leads the viewer around the composition in an interesting and profound way.
|
Took steps to go above and beyond in constructing deeper meaning with a complex composition.
The printed motif was used with intention to create a rhythm and sense of movement through the composition that added to the content of the piece.
|
Your print does not record subject matter of today that represents popular culture.
The composition has little to no thought about its relation to today’s pop culture.
|
Your print uses a simple but clichéd image that does not entirely capture the spirit of today’s pop culture, but is getting there. You need to take advantage of size and space to create a more energetic and exciting layout
The composition may or may not contribute to the meaning of the print.
|
Your composition uses today’s pop culture for its subject in a way that has energy and excitement. Your print composition is dynamic but you may be able to create a more interesting and complex sense of depth by investigating the use of space by overlapping, change of placement or size, as well as breaking the picture plane.
|
Your print image is dynamic and exciting, full of energy and movement. You have filled and maybe even broken through the picture plane, used overlapping, size and/or placement to create a sense of depth and space as well as interest.
Your composition takes advantage of the pop culture image you referenced in your print and builds from it, creating an interesting image for the viewer to explore.
|
Your composition is filled with rich visual imagery that gives an exceptional representation of today’s popular culture. The viewer has a thoroughly developed and interesting image to explore that can be clearly interpreted. The use of depth and space adds to the energy and meaning of the piece with the entire composition being constructed to bring the separate pieces together in a larger statement about today’s pop culture.
|
Printmaking & Collage Procedures • relief carving & printing • media techniques • craftsmanship
|
||||
Poor or wasteful use of media / equipment.
Printmaking procedures not followed.
|
Normal use of process with some mistakes in printing technique.
|
Reasonable use of materials and processes. Followed demonstrated procedures with few omissions.
|
Excellent procedural processes. Exhibits technical excellence, closely followed demonstrated procedures.
|
Pushed the limits of the procedural process in an innovative and original way showing creativity and ingenuity beyond just what was assigned.
|
Print Ink was handled haphazardly with more attention needed to create a smooth, even application.
|
Ink was applied in such a way that some areas printed with solid, even, smooth coverage.
|
Ink was applied in such a way that most areas printed with solid, even, smooth coverage. A few areas need more work.
|
Ink was consistently applied and printed so that coverage is even, solid and has accurate or expressive color.
|
Took extra care to execute a clean, clear readable print with even, opaque ink application.
|
Skill Development & Work Ethic • application of effort • depicting rhythm and movement
|
||||
Work was not completed with honest application and effort to gain understanding or improve skills as demonstrated by a habitual lack of initiative and work ethic.
|
An attempt to understand and apply skills was minimal, as seen through teacher initiated conferences and reminders to stay on task.
|
Work was approached with an open mind and a desire to improve as shown by student driven questions and good work habits that stayed on task.
|
Understanding and Skills were advanced through the student‘s on-task application and development of technique. Demonstrated by student led investigations and progressive work habits.
|
Not afraid to take risks. Open mindedness and honest effort to learn something new was apparent in each and every step of the way, benefiting the student with an enhanced creative experience.
|
Unfinished and/or poor application of printmaking techniques and composition construction with the use of rhythm and movement.
|
Shows some area of printmaking skill with little application of rhythm and movement to the limited composition construction.
|
Printmaking skills are used and enhanced by the use of rhythm and / or movement with some thought to the overall composition.
|
Excellent. Good execution of rhythm and movement within a planned composition as well as an excellent grasp of the relief printmaking media.
|
Excellent problem solving. Took extra care to add enhancements or make corrections when faced with complications.
|
Pop Art Rhythmic Relief Print
Instructor Feedback
1
Little to no understanding
|
2
Partial understanding
|
3
Considerable understanding
|
4
Complete understanding
|
+
Advanced understanding
|
Composition • arrangement • content
|
||||
Weak composition arrangement that lacks evidence of intent or consideration. May be haphazard.
No evidence of rhythm or movement.
|
Composition arrangement is awkward but shows some purpose.
An attempt to depict rhythm or movement is apparent.
|
Composition arrangement clearly shows intention to convey idea.
Rhythm and/or Movement is seen in your work with clear intention to use it to enhance the layout of the composition.
|
Strong composition arrangement that addresses complex idea. Repetition is utilized to the highest degree creating rhythm and/or movement that leads the viewer around the composition in an interesting and profound way.
|
Took steps to go above and beyond in constructing deeper meaning with a complex composition.
The printed motif was used with intention to create a rhythm and sense of movement through the composition that added to the content of the piece.
|
Your print does not record subject matter of today that represents popular culture.
The composition has little to no thought about its relation to today’s pop culture.
|
Your print uses a simple but clichéd image that does not entirely capture the spirit of today’s pop culture, but is getting there. You need to take advantage of size and space to create a more energetic and exciting layout
The composition may or may not contribute to the meaning of the print.
|
Your composition uses today’s pop culture for its subject in a way that has energy and excitement. Your print composition is dynamic but you may be able to create a more interesting and complex sense of depth by investigating the use of space by overlapping, change of placement or size, as well as breaking the picture plane.
|
Your print image is dynamic and exciting, full of energy and movement. You have filled and maybe even broken through the picture plane, used overlapping, size and/or placement to create a sense of depth and space as well as interest.
Your composition takes advantage of the pop culture image you referenced in your print and builds from it, creating an interesting image for the viewer to explore.
|
Your composition is filled with rich visual imagery that gives an exceptional representation of today’s popular culture. The viewer has a thoroughly developed and interesting image to explore that can be clearly interpreted. The use of depth and space adds to the energy and meaning of the piece with the entire composition being constructed to bring the separate pieces together in a larger statement about today’s pop culture.
|
Printmaking & Collage Procedures • relief carving & printing • media techniques • craftsmanship
|
||||
Poor or wasteful use of media / equipment.
Printmaking procedures not followed.
|
Normal use of process with some mistakes in printing technique.
|
Reasonable use of materials and processes. Followed demonstrated procedures with few omissions.
|
Excellent procedural processes. Exhibits technical excellence, closely followed demonstrated procedures.
|
Pushed the limits of the procedural process in an innovative and original way showing creativity and ingenuity beyond just what was assigned.
|
Print Ink was handled haphazardly with more attention needed to create a smooth, even application.
|
Ink was applied in such a way that some areas printed with solid, even, smooth coverage.
|
Ink was applied in such a way that most areas printed with solid, even, smooth coverage. A few areas need more work.
|
Ink was consistently applied and printed so that coverage is even, solid and has accurate or expressive color.
|
Took extra care to execute a clean, clear readable print with even, opaque ink application.
|
Skill Development & Work Ethic • application of effort • depicting rhythm and movement
|
||||
Work was not completed with honest application and effort to gain understanding or improve skills as demonstrated by a habitual lack of initiative and work ethic.
|
An attempt to understand and apply skills was minimal, as seen through teacher initiated conferences and reminders to stay on task.
|
Work was approached with an open mind and a desire to improve as shown by student driven questions and good work habits that stayed on task.
|
Understanding and Skills were advanced through the student‘s on-task application and development of technique. Demonstrated by student led investigations and progressive work habits.
|
Not afraid to take risks. Open mindedness and honest effort to learn something new was apparent in each and every step of the way, benefiting the student with an enhanced creative experience.
|
Unfinished and/or poor application of printmaking techniques and composition construction with the use of rhythm and movement.
|
Shows some area of printmaking skill with little application of rhythm and movement to the limited composition construction.
|
Printmaking skills are used and enhanced by the use of rhythm and / or movement with some thought to the overall composition.
|
Excellent. Good execution of rhythm and movement within a planned composition as well as an excellent grasp of the relief printmaking media.
|
Excellent problem solving. Took extra care to add enhancements or make corrections when faced with complications.
|
Comments:
I have struggled through all of this because I think it is important for students to experience and see growth in their skills. Not just their performance / production skills with art media, but also to see development in their creativity, their critical thinking, and their communication skills. The way classes like Intro to Art are currently set up do not allow for growth in these mulittude of areas within a year. We bounce from media to media and nothing connects them with the elements and principles to a higher cause. No singular objective.
So I would like to connect them together with a big idea of art as culture’s tool for communication. It is a way that humanity is connected over decades, between cultures, and amongst each other. And because I like to involve my students in developing projects and how we evauate them, I would ask them this, “How would you like to leave your mark? What is it you have to say?” and we would explore that topic through the creation of art, through examining how other artists are leaving their mark, and whether or not we are leaving a mark. “What criteria should we use to determine the worth of these endeavors? What would you like your work to be judged on?” And that is what I would use to determine grades for my students. Without having a class to pary back and forth, it is hard to give tangibles here. From past experience, I would hear from students items such as, a) Did I finish it in time; b) Did I listen to advice and modify based on feedback from my audience; c)Did I try my best; d) Did I say anything? But I have a feeling the longer we did this, the more they broke free from the traditional mold of grades and school expectations, the different the answers might be.
A year can be a mighty long time and can be ripe with experiences, or it can be droll and drag on. I love to think of this quote from Peter Pan when I plan a lesson, “Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?” Shall we play and try new things and see what we can see? Or shall we take a minute and enjoy the stillness, reflect, converse, and get our wits about us? Both are very important activities and both have their place. I also think it is important to let students change the way they see their grades and grading, this is part of their growth. If we were to start right out with me telling them how we should see grades, would they believe me? Or do they need to experience the change as it happens in order to see the difference? I believe they do. So I would have them write their own scoring guide, develop, either as individuals or as a class, their rubric and we would post it as we work, making modifications as we go. Yes, if I were to do this now that is what I would do. I would like to see how experience changes what they value and how they evaluate themselves. I do wish I was able to try this out!
Gradebook task #2:
Ideal tracking device:
Ideal tracking device:
So I am struggling with this non-traditional grading system assignment.
In my mind it is either a scale, or a series of check points
marking when criteria have been met or not met. Not having numbers associated
with it is definitely hard for my brain! However, if we are thinking of numbers
as being used to define grades (percentages right or wrong) than I can totally
skip that. I am much more comfortable thinking of it terms of a sliding scale
with a little or a lot.
Okay, so although still hazy, what I am thinking is having
students monitor their own progress in certain areas such as expertise;
imaginative thinking skills; adventuresome spirit & tenacity; motivation,
effort, and perseverance; collaboration & contribution to the overall creative
environment of the studio; and ability to reflect on the experience being able
to articulate what was learned. Each of these areas fits within the new NCCAS and i think reflects what is important to learn in an art class.
For each
project they would mark where they feel they lie on a radar type chart such as the
one below. And I as the teacher would
also monitor their progress like this.
Displaying their development like this would allow them to see all at
once how they have demonstrated creative thinking, collaboration, critical
thinking, and then I would want them to reflect on what patterns they are
seeing and reasons for why they think certain projects allowed for growth or
regression in each area.


I love this soooo much... just thought I would reiterate my admiration for this idea!
ReplyDelete