Michelle Ridlen's MU Art Ed Blog

Michelle Ridlen's MU Art Ed Blog
Master's Student ~ Started Summer 2012, Anticipated Graduation December 2014 ~ Tiger for Life! M-I-Z...

Sunday, February 16, 2014

ART: Week 4 - Read & React


Read chapters 3 & 4 in “Reflective Teaching” . 

I had read the chapters last week but couldn't find a moment to get my thoughts out on the keyboard. Now I had to go back and re-read a week later to refresh my memory. Ironically, it came at the same time I heard about the undergrad program and completely skewed my point of view - specifically as I re-read chapter 4 on emotion in teaching. What a powerful real world connection to this assignment! 

To summarize, chapter three discussed Hnadal and Lauva's framework for understanding the structure of teachers' practical theories. Three different elements are discussed: "teachers' practical theories can be understood as the intermingling of personal experiences, transmitted knowledge, and core values." They go on to say that meaning is given to an experience is highly dependent on (but not determined by) an individual's central values, personal experiences and received knowledge. (p.26) 
Later in the chapter Dewey is referenced. He criticized the tendency to "place too much emphasis on the immediate proficiency of the teacher and the lack of emphasis on preparing education students who have the capacity and disposition to keep on growing." (p.29) This really gave me pause and I started reflecting on the way we conduct PD as well as my recent experiences designing and facilitating PD for my teachers in the district. Recently in a survey of PD, a group of teachers were complaining that the PD (not mine - whew!) did not encourage them to grow and in fact was doing the opposite, stagnating their development as young teachers. It was so refreshing to hear teachers speak up and in such a thoughtful, reflective way.  They could have written some of the statements I read in this chapter from Dewey. 
As I got to the section on transmitted knowledge, I was reminded of my concurrent assignment in Human Learning and the concepts of modeling. We pick up (nee learn) from seeing others in action, reading about others, and discussing with peers. I definitely see the connection to our educational lineage project here as the question on page 34 asks, "What are some of the key experiences in your life...that have influenced your current ideas about teaching and yourself as a teacher?"

Chapter 4 - or what I like to call the emotional chapter. 
I was caused to think of that piece of proverbial wisdom from one of my heroes, Maya Angelou, "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." Maybe it is because I am an art teacher, but so much of my teaching is the reaction to a situation based on intuition. I am most inclined to think that even if you know all of the procedural knowledge that goes along with teaching, as you grow into and become that great teacher much of those skills become habit and a part of your teaching reflexes. I love how our assignment on metaphor was such a part of the reading too. 


This week, reflect deeply on this question of yourself:

1. “What motivates the impulse to teach?”
pull from the reading over the past three weeks as well as this weeks thoughts. A Simple question, but very complex to answer :) 

This question is so thoroughly juicy it is sticky sweet. First I would like to quote Edmundson from our reading in chapter 4, "The process of human growth -- when it entails growth of the heart as well as the mind -- is never particularly clean or abstract. To grow it is necessary that all of our human qualities come into play, and if some of those qualities are not pretty, then so be it (p.48)" This question is ripe with growth potential, so therefore I may not be able to make this very "pretty." 

I truly believe that the best teachers hear a calling. We are summoned, we are submerged, we are compelled to be teachers. Whether we are formally in the profession or not, some of us are natural teachers and others are always crafting our skills. I think for myself, I am motivated to teach because I want to make a difference in the lives of others. I am emotionally driven by my experiences to share my joys and help others find their own. I am definitely of that camp that asks students to find a meaningful life. However, that means to me that an abundant life will follow. I also think I have a respect for knowledge and what that does for society. That probably drives my desire to "inform" people. This can be both a virtue and a vice. However, more than just a desire to correct or inform people, my impulse is to teach and help people make their own discoveries to share; to learn from each other.  I am a collector of knowledge and want to share that enthusiasm with others. I find beauty in making the world a better place where we are kinder to each other, where we support one and other, and where we create things that leave a mark on our past.  I am an artist for all the reasons Edmundson states that we read, "so as to discover ourselves and others, and to come to know previously unrecognized aspects of ourselves. (p.47)" and as a teacher, working with students who are also embodying the spirit of an artist, I teach to discover, to know that which was previously unrecognized, to see how others think about, feel, and inhabit the worlds in which we live.

Reflections & Reactions:

To Kelley, wk 4 -
Like you Kelley, I always loved children as a kid / teenager. I loved to babysit and take care of kids, creating projects with them and playing games, running around and nurturing their imagination. When I was in college and started to do field experience work (where it wasn't an art room per say, but tutoring or after school programs), I discovered that kids say the darndest things. At the time I was actually quite disturbed by some of the things I heard and had to fight the urge not to flick them in the head. Kids were just so mean to each other! I guess I had forgotten. When it came time to student teach, my top choices for placement were elementary and high school. There was NO way I was going to a middle school - - that time is horrible! I am so glad that I was assigned to a middle school because it totally changed my mind about that time period and being with kids. Much more my speed. I could be goofy and sarcastic and still have students interested in learning. I liked being able to support them through a time I know is tough for many kids.

1 comment:

  1. HI Michelle,

    How timely to tie the "emotion" into the reading. Indeed I would agree with your Maya Angelou quote... Kathy and many of the Art ed faculty has sliced strong emotions of passion for learning, creating sharing and so one, and look at the response wee all are having!

    I love that you "teach to discover" I wholeheartedly resonate with that idea, teaching is a process of discovery, it is a constant state of learning and remaining curious.

    BTW, your metaphor is not showing up on your blog. Can you try re-posting it?

    Full STEAM ahead!!!!

    ReplyDelete