(Sorry! I didn't read the directions close enough for the read & react assignments. I only reacted instead of writing my summaries. Let me try again...)
Signs of Change: Art Ed in the Age of the iKid (Mudd & Unrath article)
This article captures the direction of where art ed needs to go to make learning relevant to today's igeneration student.
Rewired ch.1-2 (Rosen book)
Chapters 1 & 2 introduces who the iGeneration (and Net Generation) is, presenting what their life is like in a world inundated with technology. Rosen begins to explore what educators and/or parents need to do in response to this different way of looking at the world. Chapter 2 goes into detail about ownership and use of the different age groups and the different technologies.
New Technologies in the Artroom (Greh article)
Greh writes an article presenting what the art room might look like as technology starts to make headway into our discipline. She outlines the up side but also shares her fears about what could go wrong. I have been in this place recently.
Frontline: Digital Nation - Life on the Virtual Frontier
This documentary covers what life in our digital age looks like including what our current use (or, er, our 2010 use) looks like in the form of learning, gaming, & military use. The writer/directors Dretzin and Rushkoff explore where this technology use is taking us and explores the ramifications (or the research that is studying the ramifications). It begins the dialogue about what we are going to gain and we are going to sacrifice through this 24/7 use of technology.
What is education’s role in meeting the needs of the 21st century student?
After reading New Tech in the Art Room by Greh:
Ok, holy moly (or is it mole?). I was really identifying with the author of this reading (which by the way, what book did this come from and what is the full name of the author?). I am currently setting up 2 pilot projects in my district for a Fine Arts lab at one of our high schools (mine) and one of the middle schools (across form my HS). This lab idea was a major victory of mine. The lab (although I hate the term lab. it makes it seem open to anyone at any time, and since i've worked so hard for art access to technology, I'm feeling a bit selfish) contains a cart with 32 ipads (a class set), an apple tv, a projector, styluses, and a macbook. Then I've also equipped the iPads with apps appropriate for Visual Arts, Music, and Theatre classes. But there is so much to think about when integrating this technology! And I'm not just thinking for my own discipline, but the whole of fine arts! I feel woefully under-equipped for this task. I have an idea of what I want, what it could be used for, but how do I make it worth while? And how do I transfer my enthusiasm to my other 5 art teachers, 3 music teachers, and 1 theatre teacher? And thats just in the hs. So on one hand I'm worrying about did I make the right decisions as far as set up (app choices and the what not), will the teachers use it, will it be used effectively, will teachers take care of it and monitor student use (will we break / "lose" any), will administrators see the value in it, can I plan good pd for it, and on and on. I could totally relate to that list of nightmares. But on the other, I've got such great ideas!! And I am so excited to put this technology into play! And others probably do too! I think this could be amazing. Will others see the possibilities? Will others see how great this is?
That was my personal reaction to it. All the while with my critical mind though, I'm thinking, "How old is this article?" It felt dated. And that underscored to me a current trend in tech, as soon as you get a handle on something, it changes. So quickly our world is evolving. And sometimes I feel that we as teachers aren't doing enough to keep pace. We get comfortable. And hey, who can blame us? Who wouldn't rather stay curled up in bed under the nice comfy covers, all cozy? It's nice. and easy. and safe. and its hard to keep running at a break neck pace that as teachers we can overdo too. But like the turtle,we have to keep moving at a steady pace to win the race. Somewhere in between the hare and standing still, we have to find that middle path to best serve our students.
[alright, I feel like I'm starting to ramble from atop a soap box. next topic...]
"iKids Today"
What are my beliefs and experiences pertaining to/with the iKid/iGeneration?
How might my generational grouping and my current understanding of technology (*gleaned from the self assessment) impact my understanding of the students I teach?
I feel like I have been pondering this question for a while now - years, in fact. I have been told that I am on the cusp of the Gen X and Gen Y or whatever you want to call that next generation. And there seems to be a new generation after that one (Gen Y) that I feel is the iKids that this refers to. The students I taught in 2001 are not the same functioning students I taught last year in 2011. Those Gen Yers were born in the late 80's, whereas my students today were born in the late nineties, two very different time periods influenced by technology in very different ways. Little things I've noticed have changed the way these students see the world. Little things like not having to wait until Saturday morning for a solid block of cartoons. The development of cable stations into 24/7 content providers have changed the way this generation of people think and approach things. It has changed the way some other generations see things too, but the difference is we can "remember a time when..." It reminds me of the Beloit mind set list (although that too seems to be showing its age this go round). If you are unfamiliar with it, "The Mindset List was created at Beloit College in 1998 to reflect the world view of entering first year students. It started with the members of the class of 2002, born in 1980." I've seen how this little difference has changed the way my students react to and reflect their pop culture. That is a fascinating unit for me. And it highlights the generational differences. I've joked with my students that this is the year I got old (Obviously because I can't see the 10 point type I've used on the IWB every year for seating charts), but rather I think its just the year that the difference between everyday habits has had more contrast. I'm trying to come around to some divergent thinking though. Thinking about the same thing in two different ways. I try to problem solve using new technologies and in ways that are relevant to my students. In ways that they will see how it is relevant, and so that we can make connections to build better relationships. And ultimately, this has been my goal with every group of students. It just hasn't been as seemingly different before.
"Rewired"
At the beginning of the school year, the icebreaker for our PD was a generation activity that had the faculty looking at what characteristics of each of these generations they felt they had and thinking about their parents generational characteristics that rubbed off on them. Where we fell short was looking at the characteristics of our current generation of students. But with limited time, we weren't able to do the research to find out more about them. This book fills in the gap for me. And it goes hand in hand with another book I read that has changed my outlook on the way I plan lessons - "Drive" by Daniel H. Pink.
What I noticed about this book is that even though it was written recently in 2010, it is already behind! MySpace, to my knowledge, was finished back before 2008. But that seems to be a major part of the conversation - that technology is changing at such a rapid pace. You really have to be embedded in it and not just an observer to feel as though it isn't passing you by. I keep thinking of Ferris Bueller's quote, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." (How's that for generational?) Life does move fast, and technology moves even faster. But in this case, if you stop, you'll miss it. You can't sit back and passively observe or you miss the whole point of the technology. It really does bring people together in ways that we weren't connected before. I'm still struggling with how to do this in school. I have ideas, but I'm not sure how to execute them. And just like Greh, I fear some of the unknowns that could be bad in a school environment. Some of the uncontrollable outside forces. But these outside forces are part of what makes these outlets so attractive to our students. How do we reconcile this?
"Frontline: Digital Nation - Life on the Virtual Frontier"
I love this documentary. I really liked the way it explored some of the negative aspects of all of our technology use. I couldn't help but keep thinking about where we are headed even after all this. Google's new project was brought to my attention this summer, and I keep thinking about what our society is going to look like if it catches on. The new project is Google Glasses and you can see a demo here: http://youtu.be/JSnB06um5r4 .
I also started to read through some of the discussions. I saw this one and it really resonated with me. I feel like I have two halves on this issue. One that is all "Let's go for it! let's dive in and check it out!" and the Other that screams at me, "Slow your roll! This is too good to be true. Let's check it out first."
"The time wasted on a pc is time away from solving real world problems and building and achieving something real and tangible that actually makes a physical difference in other peoples lives. All the addicted try very hard to label it progress and those who oppose are just old fashioned. Not so. It simply is a value set and a personal image situation. If you think you're never going to amount to much and that your only one person and can never make a difference, then sure those rings and trinkets seem pretty compelling. However, if you believe the power of one person can make and create alot of change you realize the futility of virtual worlds and digital distractions. The World outside is being over run and needs citizen power, and is far more important than those virtual worlds; though many have convinced themselves otherwise."
I keep thinking of Amy's school where the kids are surrounded by this great piece of land and are taught to embrace it, slow down, and seek serenity. It really seems that as educators we need to be up to date and embrace technology but with a caveat. We also need to take the time to teach our students the value in the other. To slow down, to use "primitive" technologies as an alternative when things might not be suitable for the tech answer. And not to place more value on one or the other but to present both options as having value and being who we are as a society. And we as teachers need to remember that we shouldn't make assumptions, that we may need to teach students how to "unplug" in way where they find worth.
[ I also keep wondering about that South Korean kid who went to re-programming camp. And how tortured he was by being away from gaming for 10 days. Is he still an addict? Or did he stick with a program of not gaming continuously? DId he eventually outgrow gaming? I'd love to see a follow up. ]
I have a feeling this documentary will stick with me for a while.
No comments:
Post a Comment