Michelle Ridlen's MU Art Ed Blog

Michelle Ridlen's MU Art Ed Blog
Master's Student ~ Started Summer 2012, Anticipated Graduation December 2014 ~ Tiger for Life! M-I-Z...

Saturday, February 1, 2014

ART: Week 2 - Read & React


1. Read and Reflect on Parker Palmer: Chapter 3. Read: Marzano, Chapter Three. Go to the appendix and on Pages 185-226 is a Teacher Scales for Reflection. (http://www.marzanoresearch.com/reproducibles/becoming_reflective?___SID=U) Take yourself through this process and reflect on your findings in your blog. Please remember to be reading others blogs and responding as well.
-Compare your notes on the 12 qualities with your findings in the Scales exercise. Are any themes emerging? Comment on your discoveries.
After reading Parker Palmer; Consider these additional thought questions:

2. -Consider the idea of OBJECTIVISM.
-Is it present in your class room and teaching in anyway?
-In your history, do you recall teachers who were more like Abba Felix? -Consider for a moment, some aspect about teaching and art (or what ever discipline you teach) which you feel passionate about, are there things which occur that get in the way of that passion? Explore this idea. 

Summary:
Marzano- This chapter outlines the types of goals that a teacher should attempt to set and examine about their own practice. It provides some questions and scales from a teacher to model the practice of self-reflection. 
Parker Palmer-
Palmer examines the typical structure of a classroom with an authoritarian teacher as the instructor and proposes an alternative learning structure when students arrive at the point where rote learning stops. He cites the story of Abba Felix to illustrate his point.

Thoughts as I read:
Marzano. Why don't we purposefully utilize these 3 stages (cognitive, shaping, & autonomous) when introducing new strategies? It seems like many times we, teachers, are left to our own devices and maybe expected to go through these stages on our own? (i'm thinking of our district PD here) Rather then continue to push through new plans every year, why don't we slow our roll and maneuver through these three stages? Being in the classroom, sometimes it is hard to synthesize what we learn in PD amongst all we are responsible for teaching. (I need a mental DVR so I can re-watch trainings for when they are relevant for my teaching!) These three stages made me totally think of what I was going through after seeing Olivia Gude and going to the the NAEA/MAEA conferences. I started to transform my teaching in response to student needs, but I had to grapple with my own understanding and got through the stages over the years. 
  That leads me to another tangent...How do we transform our teaching (and go through these three stages) as art teachers if all we are ever exposed to are our district PD sessions? Fine Arts teachers (and probably many elective teachers) are often turned down for PD requests b/c 1) it usually involved travel; 2) it didn't relate directly to our school improvement plan (b/c it was always literacy / math  / science focused); 3) impacted a small number of students / teachers (expectation is to come back and share what you learned with other teachers. As singleton (or near singleton) teachers there were very few teachers to share with.); and 4) wouldn't improve scores (how very unscientific!). Which, okay, if I was on the other end of this and had to figure out criteria for how to approve requests, this would look good at first. Smart and responsible even. But how about looking at how this leaves certain subjects out. It is the "invisible" neglect of certain skills and abilities that we are teaching in our schools. It is demonstrating an opinion and value of the arts that may be unintended. But I want to scream, "HOW CAN THEY NOT SEE THAT?!" If subjects are taught, they should all be deemed "worthy" of development and content related growth (not all pedagogy is created equal for every subject.) 
   While reading this chapter, I also thought about how many of these skills / strategies would I be able to get to? Yes, they are valuable to have in my tool belt, but unlike a social studies or english class, how often are we as art teachers instructing in ways that we would want to ask students to respond as a group? I found myself interacting mostly one-on-one. Very little time was spent on direct instruction and the majority of time was students working on projects. The descriptions of the strategies just struck me as more one-directional instruction than collaborative or mentor-like.

Parker Palmer. Ooh. I needed that. Something about reading that shook me out of a little funk I was sitting in. I took a lot of notes in the margins as I read. Thinking I will have to look up the book this came from. 
   I was a little stumped by the term 'objectivism' and was glad that Amy had put it in our notes before we started. I think I get it, but I keep throwing myself by thinking about it in terms of Ayn Rand's philosophy (which I take issue with.) But relating it in terms of education it starts to come together for me. The definition of objectivism: the tendency to lay stress on what is external to or independent of the mind. In short, I keep thinking of it as the beginning of education. If we stop at the facts and rote memorization of information we won't be able to go any deeper with our content. It will breed frustration in teachers and boredom in students. So, in my mind there is a time and place for that kind of learning, but if that is all there is then learning won't continue. 
    Reading this really made me think of the way I have taught over the years. With the adoption of NCLB and a turn to enforce teaching through standards (which were elements & principles based), we started to teach what I thought of as more concretely. I knew that students needed certain information about the elements / principles (as outlined by our state grade level expectations in micro detail) in order to perform well on tests. And I always empathized with students who didn't feel especially artistically talented. I wanted to make those kids who were "book smart" feel successful. And I wanted to help my SPED kids with learning disabilities feel successful. It was all very well-meaning, but I unintentionally stripped the class of the  intrinsic rewards that art offers. What I determined after many years of teaching was that there was a balance (it is all so very zen) between teaching through different art media skills, breaking down the elements & principles, all the info contained in looking at and examining artworks/artists in art history and the hidden curriculum that art teaches not listed in the standards or our curriculum documents: What it feels like to be inspired by an idea and communicate it visually, to be creative, to see things from different perspectives, to share your experiences. All of these things have to be fostered as they are learning facts and tidbits. The facts have to be useful when applied to experiences that engage. I find that the way we have chosen to assess standards drives teachers to teach in an objectivist way. If all the tests are looking for are facts and information, and a school's future is dependent on the performance on those tests, it is very scary to leave the learning of those facts to "chance". You feel a responsibility to your students to have given them exactly what they need directly. 
   As I made the switch to more inquiry based, learner directed lessons, I had to practice a letting go of sorts. I had to let go of my ego when I realized we weren't turning out as many highly skilled works of art to hang in the hallway. The learning that was happening was way more valuable, but I didn't realize that until later. I just went along on faith. It helped that we were having waaaay more fun than before though. We were not only learning, but building a community and that in turn made kids excited to learn together and unintentionally more curious. 
   I have a neighboring teacher who is definitely an Abba Felix. She is bravely allowing her students to explore their own learning. Whenever I get all wrapped up again in my old habits, I go talk through things with her and she helps me to "let go." Another neighboring teacher is very rote, step by step and follows a more objectivist path. In talking with her, I've noted a couple of reasons why she teaches this way: 1) it is easier to know when a project will be over and to plan for supplies, 2) she is able to direct students into making art she finds "beautiful" and not "ugly", and 3) She doesn't give them enough credit, thinking they won't understand what will be on the test (I've often heard the excuse, "they won't know that" or "they can't learn that"). She is very much the "Ok...Go!" kind of teacher with out a lot of follow-up instruction.
   I think as a learner, I need a little bit of both. I need straight up information in small bits with plenty of opportunity to apply it. I need some experiences to tie my learning to and it will stick. But, it can't always be completely ambiguous. Sometimes I need an expert to reinforce or confirm my thinking or encourage me in my efforts. More of a community based effort. 
    

6 comments:

  1. Thoughts in response to Ginia's blog post this week: (http://educatingginia.blogspot.com/2014/01/objectivism-and-abba-felix.html?showComment=1391282384041#c5637565335661565520 )
    You bring up some good points about the need for direct instruction depending on the material. I'm guessing though that at some point you would not only want your students to know the grammar rules, but apply them as well to some original writing. How boring would class be if all students did was read or hear a rule and have to write it or recite it over and over. In my mind, it is about keeping each piece in proportion. You wouldn't just unlock the classroom and say okay, go in and learn something on your own. Learning doesn't happen in a vacuum. A teacher would give them something interesting to bite into, hook into their curiosity, see where it takes them together, and then evaluate what formal properties would enhance and elevate their knowledge. I think about some of the things I read online nowadays and how distracting it is when something is poorly written no matter how brilliant the idea. It seems to be a good mash-up of the two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Sheryl: (http://lookslikeburnttoast.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-teaching-behind-teaching.html)
    "The amount of objectivism present in my classroom and teaching today is a source of great conflict to me. My personal teaching philosophy is based on constructivism yet the elementary art curriculum in my district is based solely on skills. For our standards-based report cards I am required to assess each student’s performance on these skills. It is definitely objectivist to stand at the whiteboard and say, “Today we’re going to be learning how to use shading techniques.” (Because, in the back of my mind, that’s what you’re going to be graded on this quarter.) Sometimes I can embed the skill into a meaningful unit, but it’s a challenge. I agree with Parker Palmer, there is a proper context for teaching skills. I’m frustrated that it takes the bulk of my time to do so and the more I learn, the greater my frustration. Ideally, I want my students to be able to think critically and creatively. I want them to learn perseverance and to understand that failure is opportunity. I want them to be open-minded and observant. I want them to be individuals with fearless passion. I want them to be good stewards of the earth and to do right because they know in their hearts that it’s what they should do. How does shading have anything to do with life?"

    Hey Sheryl! Loved your post. Very concise and well put. Mine is very rambling in comparison!
    Your comment about teaching shading and its worth made me think. We are really re-defining learning art in this transformation of curriculum. Students too have been trained to value skills. When they can't quantify what they are doing, do they realize they are learning? I found when we were "investigating" a topic, I had to be more explicit with what we learned that day, asking students to reflect on what they were taking with them from class that day. And since each person was on their own learning adventure, we sometimes learned a whole lot of stuffs! It is definitely a different way of teaching that needs teachers to reset their instructional habits and instincts, but well worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "If all the tests are looking for are facts and information, and a school's future is dependent on the performance on those tests, it is very scary to leave the learning of those facts to "chance". You feel a responsibility to your students to have given them exactly what they need directly". As I read this.... I had a chuckle, its almost like "teaching to the test" it's "soft" cheating. Consider this, when kids read only the cliff notes of a book (in High School or college) they get the gist, can likely perform decently on a test and pass it and move on, leaving behind the content and moving to the next "hoop"...... Has common core and standardized testing "cliff noted" education? were leaving out the meat, the heart and soul of the story for the watered down stuff that has no relevance in our kids lives and certainly does not prepare them to meet the ever changing world we live in.....

    I have some suggestions for you in regard to PD.. (I completely hear your frustration) If you have not already, read the article in the current NAEA "Studies" Transdiciplinarity and Arts Integration. Its a wonderful article. Ive been corresponding with the author, she is awesome. In my heart I truly believe she is onto something.
    Your voice is so clear in your writing Michelle, I can feel its honesty and applaud your willingness to go deep and really look at what your up too! Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's encouraging to hear that you've let the reigns go a little and have allowed your students to experience more learner based projects. I feel that in today's time of school standards, it can be easier to teach, as you said, concretely. We all have limited budgets and limited time (especially us elementary art teachers), but it is important to let our students explore, grow, and even make mistakes. We should try to give our pupils the opportunity to love and enjoy art the way that we do! I have heard that common core will be implemented in the arts next year. I do not know much about it yet, but I am very curious to see if it will be a useful tool in promoting the arts or if it will become another obstacle.

    I envy, the fact, that you high school teachers have other art educators to problem solve with. I can see how it would be very beneficial for you to have the opportunity to observe both, the Abba teacher and the more structured based teacher. I am curious to know what the students' opinions are of each educator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie,
      It is pretty wonderful to be able to work with other art teachers on a daily basis. Last year I did some research on how our classroom environments effect student learning and the way teachers are able to build connections with their students. I had teachers reflect on why they chose (or if they chose) to set up their desk space a certain way and how their teaching is reflected by it. Then I had students give first impressions and established students offer their perspective. It was very enlightening. Informally, you also hear a lot about the other art teachers, since students often take more than one art elective. I also get to talk with many students as I do classroom visits around the district. Students are way more perceptive than we sometimes give them credit.

      I loved transforming my teaching to a more student led style. It was scary at first but was so beneficial and meaningful. I made connections with my students and what we created became so much more meaningful.

      Delete
  5. Michelle, laughed when I read, "I need a mental DVR" I was reminded of a math teacher I once worked with, who video recorded his lessons. I knew he used the recordings to review the way he delivered the lesson and recently found out that he posts all of his lessons on youtube for his students to review at home. They can use this online resource in case they get stuck or missed something in their notes.

    I have never been very impressed with the PD that I have been to. The two private schools that I have taught at have sent me to a decent amount of "Jefferson City Diocese Religious Education Professional Development" and the majority of the time it turns into a social gathering of teachers and I walk away feeling like I've "Professionally Undeveloped." Occasionally we have a good guest speaker who I retain something from and am able to work what they taught me into practice. I wish private school focused a little more on professional development.

    ReplyDelete