First post. Today's class. Monday, June 4, 2012.
It was the very first day of my new Graduate program. Finally. I've found a program. It seems to be like trying on wedding dresses for me - - you know when you've found The One. I've started a program before, an MFA program, but couldn't schedule the classes around teaching full time, so... bye bye degree. As soon as I heard about this Art Ed program I knew it was the one for me.
I was excited to start today. I haven't felt this First Day of School sensation for a long time. I realized today that even though I have had a first day of school for the last 28 years, today's feelings were different. Different, yet familiar. I realized that I've made that transition from student to teacher and the First Day of School feelings I've had for the last 10+ years have been the feelings of a teacher, an instructor, a presenter. Today...today was that feeling I had as a 7th grader stepping into my new junior high, as a 9th grader going to my new HS locker, as a 1st year college student trekking across campus... nervous, anxious, fearful, unprepared, fresh, hopeful, electric.
Kathy said today that research was all about the questions. So before I start my homework, I wanted to start off with some questions of my own. When will those amazing books get here?! I must be an arted nerd because when Kathy held up those books, I thought to myself, "YES! I've been wanting to read that and now I HAVE to... its for school." I always process better later and with someone else, (must be that group/teamwork angle) so I'm glad to have 15 other people in this with me. Few of my co workers want to hear me wax poetic about scholarly books on research. Go figure. Second question, Am I gonna be able to do this? I mean, be in Columbia in the glorious summer and also make myself focus? Of course I can, I tell myself. I mean I paid enough for it, I oughta be able to ...right? And more importantly can I train my mind to steer itself into one direction and not run off into the hundred of different angles I could see myself going. Already I've read 2 pages and I've wondered off into 3 different areas of my classroom where this applies. 3 weeks is going to zip too quickly by. Will I be able to answer all these questions I have floating around my head? I can't even get them typed into a blog post which was my strategy so I could get down to official business. Oh well. Can't say I didn't try... Back to the real thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment