Michelle Ridlen's MU Art Ed Blog

Michelle Ridlen's MU Art Ed Blog
Master's Student ~ Started Summer 2012, Anticipated Graduation December 2014 ~ Tiger for Life! M-I-Z...

Monday, June 4, 2012

Write about what bothers you.

What tensions do you see in your classroom?
-Btw students in school and lives outside of school?
-Btw yourself & admin?
-Btw your educational background and the curriculum?


~OR~ What do you want to do in your classroom that you're not now doing?
- What's preventing you?
- What support would you need to be able to carry out a new strategy, curriculum, or project?


I want to integrate technology and digital media while cultivating creativity and not losing site of the craftsmanship and skill connected to traditional media. I want to seamlessly integrate reading and writing to improve my students skills while not losing time and progress made on creating. (and I don't want it to be a giant hassle to my flow, style of teaching, and grading load.) I want to integrate more explicit visual culture instruction so my students are prepared to take in the world around them and can respond to it in a thoughtful manner that contributes to society.
Preventing me from doing this is my own limited knowledge, limited access to technology, budget & time. I am working on my own awareness of these issues to better advocate for resources and to better prepare myself for eventually incorporating some, or all, of these. It would be great if I could have the power to stop time for a short period in order to read and submerge myself in my thoughts, and that way not ignore my family or my students in my quest for more knowledge (How awesome a super power would that be?!).
I would love to try teaching my curriculum through a broader lens than just the bauhaus elements & principles method that has been great, but still lacks depth and greater application. I would like the freedom from my course map, data and common assessments that dictate what order I teach what, when, and how. I would like to partner with another teacher, working collaboratively, or even team teaching to best reach a broad group of students where they are, with projects that meet the needs they don't even realize they have yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment