Michelle Ridlen's MU Art Ed Blog

Michelle Ridlen's MU Art Ed Blog
Master's Student ~ Started Summer 2012, Anticipated Graduation December 2014 ~ Tiger for Life! M-I-Z...

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Prepwork for Legwork CH. 5

Data sources:
I am still thinking in terms of many questions, not necessarily with one in mind.
Evidence: Well, student interviews, observations of behaviors, production of work. One thing that I don't think will work well for this, and honestly, I have never thought works well as a data source in looking at how art is taught, is grades. The traditional letter grading system seems so disconnected from what they are learning. and what am I really grading for anyway? The things that I care about seeing growth in are harder to measure and truly difficult to see the impact on in the span of one year.
I love looking at student reflections for a data. But then that seems a bit subjective. I can mine those for the evidence I wish to support my claim. For me, I think the quantitative data will be harder. It never holds as much weight for my conclusions.

No comments:

Post a Comment